menu

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 10, 2012

Creating Traditions

The holiday season is typically full of tradition, making today's Think Kit topic perfect: What new traditions do you want to start this year?

I don't have many traditions in place, no routine rituals or things I vow to do every year. Even the holiday season lacks consistency. My family tends to be on the road, with Christmas morning being at either my sister's or aunt's home. A few years ago my aunt decided to start a Christmas Eve tea for just the women. Last year, though, my parents and I opted to avoid the stress of tiring holiday travel and stay in Indiana, skipping out on tradition for the welcome opportunity to wake up in our own beds on Christmas morning.

Outside of the holidays I don't have many traditions, but one thing I'd love to do is make a yearly road trip with my friend Ellen (or any other friend who wants a little adventure!).
In 2010 Ellen and I both spent the summer working for branches of an academic camp. She was in Durham, NC at Duke while I melted (literally, it was incredibly hot) at the University of Georgia in Athens, GA. At the end of the summer I picked her up in Durham and we embarked north on a Virginia adventure, spending time in Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, and the beautiful University of Virginia in Charlottesville. It was the perfect way to end the summer before our senior year of college and it was the first time I got to experience the freedom of vacationing as an adult. We've briefly talked about doing another trip in the future but have never made concrete plans. Maybe 2013 is the time to take the leap.

What are some of your road trip adventures? And what traditions do you want to create in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment