menu

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Design Diaries: Wedding Fever

On the new Design Diaries part of the blog I'll be sharing some behind-the-scenes looks at custom projects I'm tackling or have completed alongside peeks at new designs for the shop.

When I was little I wanted to be a wedding coordinator. I had a stack of old bridal magazines and catalogs, a Wilton cake decorating yearbook my sister gave me from her time in culinary arts school, and "Sarah's Bridals" forms my mom helped me make on the computer. I spent long afternoons planning fictitious weddings I came up with based on the dress and cake selections on the glossy pages. It was an intense operation.

I eventually grew out of that phase. Kind of. When I started On a Good Note and realized I could take part in the whole wedding scene by designing invitations and save the dates, childhood Sarah got just a little excited and started buying bridal magazines to look at trends.

I haven't gotten to do a ton of wedding-related work yet, but I was quite flattered to be asked by a few college classmates to take part in their special occasion.

Last fall Christine and Matt, who were my classmates in DePauw's Media Fellows program, asked if I would design their thank you notes. Being journalists to the core with distinct design styles in mind, I was excited and a little nervous to take on the task. They specified that they love riding their bikes, the look of their initials, and, of course, newspapers and journalism. The end result was this design:


Then, a few months ago, a sorority sister asked me if I would be interested in designing her Save the Dates and Invitations. She mentioned she was looking for something simple, and that she really likes the 1950s Floral design on the shop. I took that design and paired it with her wedding color, plum, to come up with this:


We haven't officially settled on colors yet, but we're almost there! I am currently addicted to the pairing of these fonts together, and I really love the plum. It reminds me of my sister's wedding back in 1997 (she's 14 years older than me; I was the flower girl).

Interested in working with me on a custom design project? Email me at sarah [at] onagoodnotedesigns [dot] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment