menu

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In Search of a Desk

Confession: I'm messy.

My desk on most days is a complete disaster. Papers, magazines, business cards, opened notebooks, tech gadgets, pens, markers, random art supplies, books, etc. all take up residence on my desk on any given day. I'm terrible at organizing and finding a place for it all. It's basically clutter central and I kind of would love to figure out a way to scrap it all and have a wonderful, beautiful, Pinterest-worthy looking workspace that resembles something like this:

Image via Pottery Barn

I love that this office is crisp, bright and full of pops of color--perfect for both designing and writing--and offers plenty of drawers for storage.

The main feature is this Bedford Corner Desk from Pottery Barn, which, in true Pottery Barn fashion, comes with a pretty (scary) price tag of $899.


Since I don't have $1000 to spend on a (beautiful, dream-worthy) desk, here are some options with prices that don't make me cry quite as much.

The Everygirl recently wrote about ways to style THE desk-of-the-moment, the Parsons Desk from West Elm. 

The Parsons Desk with Drawers, $349
I like the basic, clean, modern style, making it a blank canvas to decorate how you'd like. But I can't lie: I think I would have a hard time pulling off this desk.  I need drawers and space. These two options from Ikea speak to me a little more:

The Liatorp Desk, $299

The Hemnes Desk, $279
Both classic, both providing much-needed storage, and both available at a reasonable price. Just my style. 

My current desk a clunky hand-me-down that doesn't exactly fit in with my other furniture, but it's quite sufficient until I have more money and space to invest in office furniture. Maybe one day I'll be brave and share a picture, but until then, let's talk about you!

What is your workspace like? Do you rock a cubicle like my twentysomething Indy writer Allie, who recently gave her desk an awesome makeover? Or do you have a fantastic workspace like the Pottery Barn photo (which, if you do, we need to be friends and I must come work with you)?



2 comments: