menu

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Getting in Touch with My Artistic Side

I've always known I was a writer. It was just a natural part of me, something I'd been doing since I could scribble my name. When it comes to applying other labels to myself, though, I tend to hesitate.

Calling myself an artist is something I've never really done. I did spend hours doodling on computer paper with markers and colored pencils as a kid, eventually experimenting with acrylic paints. In high school I took three years of art classes, two of them focused on photography. My senior year my photography portfolio of leaf photos won a few awards, but part of me always thought it had to have been some fluke, that perhaps I had just crafted a better artist statement than my peers who were clearly better at photography. Maybe that excuse was just because writer was a label I was more comfortable owning.

When I started On a Good Note my dad started pushing me to explore handmade illustrations for my work instead of computer-generated graphics. I dragged my feet, explaining it had "never really been my thing."

But I eventually picked up a sketchbook and a few supplies, dug out my mom's collection of Prismacolor pencils, and started drawing. It was frustrating at first. Then I got hooked. And now? I kind of can't stop drawing.

Which brings me to a new phase for On a Good Note:


The new spring designs will feature some of my new drawing efforts. Expect some of the same types of styles you've seen before, with a new lovingly handcrafted vibe. Don't worry, most of your favorites will still be sticking around for a while! Some may get an eventual makeover. Others may be retired (complete with a clearance price).

I'm excited to take a new direction. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments: